Rainworks Featured at IU Art Museum

Rainworks Featured at IU Art Museum

This past week, Bloomington has endured rainy weather more than usual. But at the IU Eskenazi Museum of Art, rain is collaborating with artists Peregrine Church and Xack Fischer to create street art around town.

Church and Fischer hail from Seattle, Washington, where rain is always on the forecast. “Rainworks” surfaced in a viral video last year, and since then, the artists have created Rainworks all over Seattle.

IU Art Museum staff member and BHSS graduate Abe Morris contacted the Rainworks team about coming to Bloomington, and now B-Town has its own Rainworks “invisible” art, located in the front plaza of the museum. “It [Rainworks] creates art in a place, and in a way, that you don’t expect,” Morris said.

Bloomington is now the home of the largest Rainwork ever made, which took approximately eleven hours to complete, according to Morris, who assisted in the creation. 

IMG_5734 (1) This image only shows a portion of the design. The design becomes visible when water is poured on it.

Community members are welcome to visit the Rainworks exhibit any time. Church and Fischer will be leading workshops about how to use the “super hydrophobic” Rainworks Invisible Spray during their stay in Bloomington, lasting through August 26th. The innovation behind the project is perfect for a growing artistic community; Rainworks “turns an ordinary sidewalk. . . into a work of art when it rains,” Morris said.

For more more information about Rainworks, visit the IU Art Museum’s website.
IMG_5733 (1)