Optimize: week of Dec. 3

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Mueller to reveal new details on Cohen’s case

Robert Mueller, former FBI director tapped by the Justice Department to be a special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, will submit a sentencing memorandum in federal court today, outlining how much time Michael Cohen will spend in jail.

Violent “yellow vest” protest in Paris

Massive protests in France, over the implementation of a tax that promotes cleaner forms of energy, have caused an uproar on social media due to the amount of physical damage to people and property that has occured. This tax is expected to nearly double the prices of gasoline. The “yellow vests” are people who oppose this tax, and their protests are planned over Facebook. The opposing side has been dubbed the “yellow jackets.”

George H.W. Bush died

The passing of former 41 President George H.W. Bush struck a somber note in America this week. The oldest living President to date, Bush was 94 when he passed away from Parkinson’s disease. All living former Presidents attended his funeral this Wednesday along with incumbent Donald Trump.

Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host  

Kevin Hart recently stepped down as this year’s Oscars host after past homophobic tweets resurfaced. The tweets included derogatory terms associated with the LGBTQ community and made fun of sexuality. Hart announced his choice to step down on Twitter, writing that he “did not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated.” He went on to apologize to the LGBTQ community as well.  

UN denies United States resolution against Hamas

Hamas has been labeled a terrorist organization by the United States and the European Union, but the UN failed to pass a measure condemning the group from targeting civilians with rockets and utilizing suicide bombers. This proposition was the last for UN Ambassador Nikki Haley before she steps down from her position.

Local bonus: Grant funding makes living history center for people with dementia possible

The Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County just awarded $30,410 worth of grant funding to expand dementia resources. This was one of the 13 nonprofit organizations to receive funds.