South students open up about Plainfield threats

Students from Plainfield High School were subject to return from their winter break on Monday, after being closed due to multiple threats this past month. Plainfield Community School Corporation closed Thursday Dec.17 as police investigated an online threat made on Facebook directed toward the students at Plainfield High School. Due to these recent threats, many students in nearby communities are taking this situation into consideration.

“After reading more into these threats it made me wonder what it would be like if I were directly affected by these threats,” Senior Garrett Ankney said.

Parents of Plainfield students felt obligated to keep their children home and out of direct harm. Many students agree with that decision. “I don’t blame them,” Senior Ana Olavarrieta said.“Why would they risk it; even if it is just some crazy kid trying to pull a prank, it’s just not worth it.”

However, Senior Ryan Yohn opposed, “I would still go to school; you are giving the person the power that they want by acting scared of the situation.”

Although the threats are still under investigation, the local police force will heighten the school’s security to ensure the safety of the students until further notice.

“If it came down to a long-lasting threat, I would probably just transfer to a nearby school to make sure I am still receiving an education in a safer environment,” Ankney said.