Hour of Code

This Thursday, South students will have the opportunity to take  introductory lessons in coding during SRT through the Hour of Code program. The goal of this program is to introduce more students to coding,the backbone of every electronic device.

Coding is essentially the process by which a computer functions. It is reliant on languages, each of which has different phrases and and notations that trigger different responses within the coding program. By compiling these notations, coders can create essentially anything, from a simple program that  displays a phrase, to a self driving car or anything in between.

By providing this introduction, the creators of the Hour of Code are attempting to show that coding isn’t as difficult to get into as people assume and are pushing to get more people into the field of computer science, which is one of fastest growing industries in the world.

Essentially every modern industry is reliant on technology and coding, and as such, people proficient in coding are in high demand. Even people going into unrelated fields can benefit from knowledge of coding if they can make simple programs to organize date or a other job requirements.