South’s wrestlers take the stage, take down the Braves

Calvin Prenkert
South’s Wade Presson wrestles Terre Haute South’s Brandon McPike in the 160 pound weight class.

Wednesday night, the South wrestlers found themselves competing in new territory… sort of. Although the meet was at home, it was moved the gym to Carmichael auditorium, so the team could use the projector and stage for its senior night program. This change of scenery didn’t seem throw the Panthers off their game, as they shined in the spotlight and took down the Terre Haute South Braves, 44-23.

All six seniors, Andrew Baxter, Tyler Schlegel, Noah Hunt, Luke Hensley, Harley Hillenburg, and Nicholas Weaver were able to secure wins, which gave the Panthers a dominating lead. Another key win came from Derek Blubaugh who  pinned his opponent less than a minute into the first period.

Baxter’s matchup in the 220-pound weight class was lopsided in his opponent’s favor early, but near the end of the third period he was able to secure a big comeback win. “I fought like I never fought before. This was my night, and that’s all I was thinking about,” Baxter said.

Unlike many of his teammates, this wasn’t Baxter’s first time on the stage. Baxter is a member of Sounds of South, which performs in the same auditorium multiple times during the year. “Wrestling on that stage just brought the worlds together… It just felt right,” Baxter said. “The longer I’ve been in high school, the more I have enjoyed that stage. So my friends and family weren’t going to see me do anything but win tonight.”

The South wrestling team will be back in action at the Conference Indiana tournament this Saturday, Jan. 13, at Perry Meridian.