Optimize: week of Jan. 22

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

End of the government shutdown

The federal government closed for three days, but the shutdown ended when Senate Democrats agreed to a short-term spending bill in order to save the Children’s Health Insurance Program, which was at risk of losing funding.

White roses at the Grammys

Musical artists agreed to wear white roses at the Grammys in support of the #MeToo movement. This act of solidarity was orchestrated by the Time’s Up organization. The white rose was chosen because, “historically, it [has stood] for hope, peace, sympathy and resistance.”

Sports doctor sentenced for sex crimes

Larry Nassar, doctor for United States gymnastics team, was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison after over 150 women accused him of sexual assault.

Flu season more threatening

Thirty seven children have died from this year’s flu, and it is getting worse and worse.

#MeToo movement in China censored by government

In China, women try to speak up about their stories of sexual harassment, but government censorship resulted in taking down online petitions and other posts.

Local Bonus: IU professor Lisa Pratt accepted a job as NASA’s first planetary protection officer. She will start on Feb. 5.