Optimize: week of Feb. 5

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Korean Unity at the Winter Olympics

North and South Korea marched together under a show of fireworks to demonstrate their unified state. The firework demonstration was followed by a handshake between North Korea’s leader’s sister and South Korean President Moon Jae.

Olympic ban on Russian athletes

The Top Sports Court has upheld an Olympic ban on dozens of Russian athletes. This is due to “alleged doping in Russian sports.” Certain Russian athletes were still allowed to participate in the Olympics, as long as they did so as individuals, instead of representing a country.

Stock Market fluctuation

The sudden crash in the Dow Jones Industrial Average stock marked the largest percentage drop of stock in a day. This crash happened on Monday and has left many experts wondering as to how it could have occurred.

Taiwan earthquake

Rescuers are searching for many missing people stuck in damaged buildings due to a 6.4 magnitude earthquake, which occured along the east coast of Taiwan on Feb. 6.

Two journalists arrested in Myanmar after investigating a massacre

After Reuters published a detailed investigation of the recent massacre of 10 Rohingya men, two of its reporters were arrested. These reporters, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo, were investigating the execution of 10 men and teenage boys carried out by Myanmar soldiers. Lone and Soe Oo are charged with “illegal possession of state secrets”  and are currently awaiting trial.

LOCAL BONUS: There has been a decrease in the number of international students attending IU.The biggest decline in international attendance can be seen at the graduate level. One of the factors administrators believe is a contributor is the “anti-immigration rhetoric,” circling the United States today.