Juuling in Schuul

It has become a new trend nationwide through college campuses and high schools, the Juul. If you’re not familiar with the Juul already, it is a small, flash-drive sized nicotine vape stick. They can be obtained very easily from the manufacturer’s website and eBay, as well as local gas stations. As of recent months, Juul’s have become very popular in the classrooms and bathrooms of South. They are incredibly easy to use due to their small size and disappearing smoke.

From a teenager’s perspective, it’s easy to see how a Juul can be appealing. The sleek, portable design, as well as the variation of flavors offered, can make it tempting for someone to try. The factor of peer pressure also comes into play. Most students probably wouldn’t have even thought to try it if lots of other people weren’t doing it.

“[Using the Juul] gives me a sense of freedom,” a male sophomore at South said.

Another issue with vaping is the distraction that it’s causing. You’ve probably seen the usual students who are enjoying their passing period (and sometimes class time) in the bathroom with their Juul. Recently, teachers have been informed of the flash drive sized device.

“I have seen someone vaping in my class before. It’s frustrating as a teacher to see a student do that because school just isn’t the place to do that,” construction teacher Nick Halter said.

Vaping, specifically using the Juul, can actually be harmful. The Juul was invented to help smokers reduce their use of cigarettes. The e-cig still contains 5% nicotine, so smokers are doing less harm yet still getting their fix.

Although research on long term health effects of vaping are not out, there are many well known chemicals that cause harm found in Juul pods. According to Dr. Lester Hartman of Westwood Mansfield Pediatrics, Juul pods contain propylene glycol, the same product as antifreeze, as well as many other harmful carcinogens.

It is unknown how long the Juul/vaping fad will last, but it will be interesting to see what doctors start to unveil about the booming e-cig industry as they begin to dissect what is in the “vape juice.”