Song of the week- March 6th

Several Optimist staff writers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

GIF

Week of  March 6th:

Calvin- My song of the week is “Saw You in a Dream” by The Japanese House. The Japanese House is a solo project by musician Amber Bain, and the song comes from the Saw You in a Dream EP. The song has a free and easy instrumental and is highlighted by the silky vocals provided by Bain. This song is perfect for many different occasions and can be enjoyed by all.

Will- My song of the week is the opening track off of Travis Scott’s second mixtape: Days Before Rodeo the Prayer. The song was produced by WondaGirl, and to this day still contains one of my favorite beats in any Travis song. It’s one of Scott’s most lyrically dense songs and is always a go to when I just want something loud and hype.

Seth- “Finest Girl (Bin Laden Song)” by The Lonely Island is my song of the week. This banger of a tune is off their album Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping.   

Ethan-  “Saint” off of Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho by Travis Scott and Quavo is my song of the week. The track goes super hard with the heavy bass in the beat and the upbeat electronic vocals of Cactus Jack and Huncho. This song is also one of the most slept-on songs on the joint project between Travis and Quavo. Overall, the track bangs.

Taylor- Two weeks ago, Vance Joy released a new album titled Nation of Two. One song on that album, “Like Gold,” is my song of the week.  While it sounds similar to two other songs on the album, its unique chorus doesn’t leave your head.

Joe – This week I have two favorite songs. The first is “Where Is the Love” by The Monzas from the album, Hey! I Know You. It’s an oldie, but it’s slowly becoming my go-to cooking song. The other couldn’t be more different. “Baby I’m Bleeding” is off of Jpegmafia’s new album Veteran. It’s easily the hardest rap song I’ve heard in awhile. The beat sounds broken and the rhymes are filled with so much vitriol. It’s refreshing to hear a rapper who couldn’t care less about trends or clothes. No matter your color or creed, you’re his target, and you’re in his sights. The whole album is worth checking out.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week: https://open.spotify.com/user/12152871126/playlist/79R1OHHs24ETg8GiS6wGLE

Or

Check out our Apple music playlist with every song from each week:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/optimist-song-of-the-week/idpl.u-WabZZdRi2jepE