Optimize: week of March 19

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Facebook hacked

Cambridge Analytica, a British data-mining firm hired by Trump’s presidential campaign, allegedly stole information from about 50 million Facebook users and used that data to sway the presidential election of 2016.

Trump’s affairs

The second woman this month, Karen McDougal, claimed that she had an affair with President Trump and that the contract stating she must keep the affair quiet is invalid. Trump has denied this affair, but McDougal is still moving forward with her lawsuit against him.

Maryland shooting

The gunman in the Maryland shooting reportedly used his father’s legally purchased gun when he opened fire on his high school on March 20. This shooting left one (the shooter) dead, one injured and in critical condition, and one injured.

Driverless Uber hit pedestrian

A driverless Uber hit a pedestrian who was walking outside of a crosswalk. This was the first fatal crash in the U.S. of this form and will lead to a halt in self-driving operations in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto officials say.

Putin wins election

Vladimir Putin won the 2018 presidential election in Russia on Sunday, making this his fourth term as Russia’s president. However, many complain that the election was not legitimate.

Local bonus: Bloomington student in custody for threatening to execute a mass shooting

A Tri-North student was arrested after claiming he was going to commit a mass shooting at school. He told other students over phone calls and through social media about his plans.