5 things you may not know about Academic Super Bowl

Academic Super Bowl (ASB) is a type of an academic competition team/club offered at South. Below is a list of things you may not have known about ASB.

1) Themes

Every year, a theme is picked that the questions relate to. This year’s theme is WWII. Students from each sub-team (Social Studies, Fine Arts, Science, Math, Interdisciplinary and English) will answer questions relating to this topic.

2) Competitions

A typical ASB competition round involves sub-teams answering multiple choice questions collaboratively with the rest of their group members. Half-way through the round, team members switch out. Only four members from each sub-team are allowed to compete at once, so, at the halfway mark, students will switch with their fellow team mates who have not competed yet.

3) Interdisciplinary

The interdisciplinary team’s questions do not all relate to one area of study. Representatives from all of the sub-teams form this team, and they are responsible for answering questions that could be asked of any of the sub-teams.

4) Time Limit

There are time limits for answering questions within a round. Students are given a set amount of time, depending on the subject and the type of question, in which they can answer the question. After all answers are marked, the correct answer is read and scores are marked. 

5) Conference

Yesterday marked the first non-practice, invitational conference for ASB. This meet, unlike the practice meet that preceded it, will determine whether students move onto the next round and if their season continues.