Optimize: week of April 23

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

North and South Korea pursue peace treaty

Leaders of North and South Korea have made steps towards peace treaties. They have agreed to discard all nuclear weapons and plan to announce an end to the Korean War.

Bill Cosby found guilty of sexual assault

After dozens of women claimed Cosby had drugged and sexually assaulted them, he was finally found guilty on three counts of indecent sexual assault. His sentence could be up to 30 years. For Cosby, age 80, that would be a life sentence.

Palestine protesters injured and killed when trying to cross into Israel

Hundreds of Palestine protesters stormed the Gaza security barrier in an attempt to cross over into Israel. Israeli forces shot and killed at least three people through the head. Additionally, 350 people were injured, with at least 75 people wounded from gunshot wounds.

Golden state killer suspect is caught

The suspect of more than 50 rape and 12 murder cases in California during the 1970s and 1980s was arrested this week after an investigation that spanned over decades. Police arrested Joseph DeAngelo and charged him with the crimes at his home this week. DeAngelo is a former police officer and was said to have been in uniform while committing many of the crimes.

Afghanistan suicide bombing outside voter-registration office

57 dead and 120 wounded in Kabul, Afghanistan after a suicide bomber attacked a voter-registration office. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for this strike, and it was the first cited attack on this year’s elections.

Local Bonus: record number of felonies though overall arrests down during Little 500

Little 500 weekend presented many arrests, including misdemeanors and an alarming number of felonies that has been proved as higher than normal during this event. The felonies include violence, drug offences, and drunk driving.