Optimize: week of Aug. 6

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Trump doubles tariffs on Turkey

Trump has proposed the doubling of steel and aluminum tariffs against Turkey. This announcement was made via Twitter. He remarked that the rapidly decreasing value of Turkey’s currency, the lira, has made existing tariffs utterly useless, and has thus called for a raise in tariffs.  

Shooting in Canada

There has been a shooting in the small town of Fredericton, Canada. As of right now, four people have been shot including two police officers. Nothing has been confirmed about the influence of this crime, but the Canadian police have brought a suspect into custody.

Space Force

Vice President Mike Pence introduced an idea this Thursday to create a  new branch of the military dedicated to fighting our intergalactic enemies.

Britain breaks swimming record at 4×100 medley relay

Swimmers Adam Peaty, James Guy, Freya Anderson and Georgia Davies lead Great Britain into the spotlight by breaking a record  at the 2018 European Championships held in Glasgow.

West Virginia House panel votes to remove all four State Supreme Court Justices for corruption

The entirety of the the State Supreme Court of West Virginia has been impeached by a House Judiciary Committee for corruption, fraud and misuse of public funds. The articles of impeachment will be voted on by the full House on August 13.

Local Bonus: New Fresh Thyme Market

Fresh Thyme has opened in College Mall. There will be four days of food sampling, music, and beer tastings.

1
View Comments (1)
$370
$500