South sweeps up Patriots

Back to Article
Back to Article

South sweeps up Patriots

Jackson Moore, Staff Writer

Yesterday, the Panthers opened up the volleyball conference season with a home win against Terre Haute North. The Patriots traveled to Bloomington after a weekend tournament in which they came out 2-2. However, this weekend experience did not prepare them for the bombardment that South brought to the net.

South came out slow in the first set, but sophomore Kenadee Coyle changed the tide. With a series of spikes, Coyle was able to generate an energizing spark for the team. The tide seemed to shift in favor of the Panthers, and the tandem of senior Lucy Anderson and junior Haley Davidson took over at the net. The first set ended up at 25-19 with Panthers on top.

Although the Patriots put up a fight in the first set, the second set was all South. There were many great plays of the night, but none of them compared to senior libero Brittney Allen’s dig from the back left of the court to produce a crucial point mid second set. The student section and Panther bench erupted; and although the Patriots tried to fight back, it seemed as if the set win was all but secured.  

The team’s chemistry was instrumental in keeping the Panthers up and active against the Patriots.

“We are really positive and encouraging,” Allen said. “I always know that if I make a mistake I can count on the girls next to me to say something uplifting.”

This encouragement would be key for South as they would have to dig deep to stop a Patriot comeback during the third set of play.

The Panthers resumed their dominance at the beginning of the third set starting on a 12-2 run. Terre Haute initially looked poised to give up and accept the loss, but they began to slowly chip away at the lead. However, Terre Haute North’s hopes of a comeback were crushed by an Anderson spike that sent the Patriots packing, 25-19.

The Panthers have started the season 3-0 and are now 1-0 in conference play. South returns to action this Thursday with a home game against Brown County.