Optimize: week of Aug. 27

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Trump to cancel raises for federal workers in 2019

Trump proposed for the 2019 year’s budget that federal workers’ incomes remain flat, free of raises or other monetary incentives. This move would directly impact nearly 2 million workers. While this motion has not yet been passed, no mention of federal raises were seen in recent legislation passed by the House.    

Trump’s response to Senator John McCain’s death

After Senator John McCain’s death, Donald Trump put out a statement that was deemed controversial. He attempted to defend what he said by talking about how he had “disagreements” with McCain.

Ugandan music-turned politician Bobi Wine arrested

Bobi Wine, Ugandan pop star and former politician, was recently arrested  following the alleged stoning of President Yoweri Museveni. Wine was arrested in the airport after given permission by a judge to leave the country for medical treatment.

Coca-Cola buys $5 billion dollar coffee company

Coca-Cola has begun working its way into the London coffee industry with the recent purchase of Costa Coffee . This company has a dominant force in the UK with 32 stores across the country. The purchase of Costa Coffee is another example of big companies such as Pepsi and Coca-Cola expanding worldwide across multiple industries.

NAFTA talks resurface

Trump, in his efforts to advance the NAFTA trade deal between the United States, Mexico and Canada, put the trade deal in jeopardy. Trump made comments that worried Canada. In response, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland stated that she would not sign a trade deal that was harmful to her fellow countrymen and women.

Local Bonus: Lead contaminated water fixtures in MCCSC

Lead was found in the water fountains of multiple MCCSC buildings. Nearly 90% of the contaminated water fountains have now been replaced. This problem was estimated to have occurred as a result of ill and infrequent use.