Optimize: week of Sept. 3

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Colin Kaepernick Nike ad

Nike has started a new marketing strategy called the “Dream Crazy” campaign with football player Colin Kaepernick at the head. Nike’s ad aired during the third quarter of the first NFL game on Thursday night and ran for two minutes. Kaepernick was featured in the commercial and is well known for his decision to kneel for the National Anthem. This campaign by Nike has faced ridicule from President Trump, but it has helped advertise through the athlete.  Nike plans to continue with “Dream Crazy” to encourage athletes that face difficult problems to follow their dreams.

India de-criminalizes homosexuality in historic ruling

Section 377, an anti-LGBT law left over from British colonial rule, was overturned this Thursday. Many feel that the ruling is long overdue and was difficult to enforce anyway.

Fate of Syria’s Idlib

Syrian rebels maintain pockets of territory in the Idlib province of Syria, but the Syrian regime of Bashar Assad, backed by Russia, is preparing to eliminate the final rebel stronghold there. The totalitarian regime could potentially be preparing chemical weapons in its final assault. The UN strongly condemns the action and advises Syria and its backers to use diplomacy to resolve the situation.

Salisbury Novichok poisoning arrests

UK authorities made two arrests in their investigation into a  nerve-agent attack in Salisbury March 4. British authorities have claimed that Russian intelligence operatives were responsible for the attack. Russia considers these claims to be “lies.”

Disclosed Documents Released During Kavanaugh Hearing

Tensions are running high in the Senate confirmation hearing of Supreme Court  Brett nominee Kavanaugh. Documents deemed confidential concerning Kavanaugh’s political beliefs were revealed to the public, partially by Republicans and partially through Democratic Senators violating Senate procedure. These documents show Kavanaugh expressing the belief that Roe vs. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling making abortion legal, was not “settled law.” Democrats worry this means Kavanaugh, if confirmed as a judge, would vote to overturn Roe.

Japan Continues to Recover from Severe Weather

Japan continues to repair its infrastructure after a series of devastating weather events including a typhoon, earthquakes, a heatwave and landslides. Several people have died and more are missing. Scientists believe that climate change is to blame for the recurring severe weather.

Local Bonus: Arrest after recovery of dropped wallet

A Bloomington teen was arrested after fleeing a robbery at America’s Best Value Inn. Because of the ID in the wallet, Ernest C. Brewster III was quickly arrested.