Girls golf competes at Conference Indiana

On Monday, the Bloomington South girls golf team competed at the Conference Indiana match. South placed third as a team and were led by seniors Madeleine Stanik and Caroline Conrad. Stanik and Conrad shot 85 and 86 respectively at the Timbergate Golf Course in Edinburgh, Indiana.

Senior top scorer Stanik referred to the conditions as “really difficult. The course was really, really wet and muddy. It made it difficult to play.”

Despite the excess of mud and small ponds, the top five golfers for South shot a total score of 374, only being edged out by Columbus North and Terre Haute South. This is an improvement from last year’s fourth place conference finish.

The team’s successful season includes wins over Edgewood, Bloomington North and several high tournament finishes, and they will look to begin the postseason at the Sectional match on Sept. 17. The match will be held at Cascades Golf Course, the home course of Bloomington North.

Stanik believes that they “should do really well” because the varsity team is very familiar with the across-town venue.

Should the Panthers advance, look for them to compete at Regionals in early October.