Six things to know about Hoosiers Outrun Cancer

With this year’s 19th Hoosiers Outrun Cancer (HOC) coming up in full swing, Optimist has gathered six important facts to know about the 5K walk/race.

Make sure to be at the Indiana University  Memorial Stadium at 9:30 a.m.

The opening ceremony begins at 9:30 a.m in front of the IU Memorial Stadium for you to meet with your teams and learn important information about the course and race rules. The 5K run will begin at 10:20 a.m., and the 5K walk will begin at 10:25 a.m..

The money raised by various teams supports cancer patients and their recovery

The funds raised will be donated to The Bloomington Health Foundation Cancer Support Fund. This fund will use the money for cancer patients to access different care past what they get from hospitals including art therapy, massage therapy and support groups.

Members of the HOC South team will receive their t-shirts and bandannas on Friday

In the atrium next Friday, Sept. 28, members of the Bloomington South HOC team will receive their t-shirts and bandannas during their lunch period.

The HOC project

An art piece was created last year by various members of Panther Activity Council to commemorate those who are battling or who have  died from cancer. The project was created by asking student to contribute a colored dot to remember a loved one who has/is battled/ing cancer. PAC is planning on continuing this tradition this year.

Even if you did not sign up with South’s HOC team, you can still support HOC

You may register through the HOC website and sign up as a spirit runner if you are unable to run/walk on the day of HOC. As a spirit runner, participants would still receive a shirt and contribute money towards this cause Students can sign up the day of the race is they missed the Sept. 20 deadline. If you are somebody who has or is battling Cancer, you can sign up as a survivor to participate in the event.

Stay hydrated!

Even though it is Sept., it is still very hot outside; and you should bring a water bottle to the race. Being dehydrated is dangerous, so make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.