BEAT Fall Show

Over the last few years BEAT, Bloomington Expressive Arts Training, has grown to become a prominent member of the arts community in Bloomington, and the group continues to grow to this day. BEAT has a wide array of programs but is most notably recognized for its award-winning show choirs, Amplitude and Syncopation, led by co-directors Brennan and Ly Wilder since 2012.

Brennan, the primary choreographer of five of the eight ensemble groups, is a highly accomplished dancer and performer, appearing in shows in London, Japan and Los Angeles, as well as as competing in MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew. Brennan’s wife, Ly Wilder, is the vocal director of many of the groups and plays bass in the BEAT band. Ly has conducted several All-State ensembles and show choirs across the country, and she is also a staff member with Showchoir Camps of America. Between 2014 and 2017, Ly served as the interim director of Indiana University’s Singing Hoosiers. Their combined talents, knowledge and dedication allow them, plus a large number of assistants from the Singing Hoosiers, to continue to develop their accomplished groups.

BEAT performs two showcases per year, a fall show and a spring show, with several smaller shows scattered between. The showcases, consisting of many sets by each group, are performed by Amplitude – a high school choir, Revelation – an all-female high school choir, Syncopation and Synchronicity – 4th to 8th grade choirs, and Mini-Sync – a 1st to 4th grade choir. These performances, typically 2-3 hours long, are well worth the time and money spent if you enjoy flashy costumes, synchronized dance moves and incredible harmonies.

In their last competition season, BEAT’s showcase headliner, Amplitude, cleaned up the competition and walked away with several high-placing finishes – something that pushes this year’s members to crave more. Aidan Crowley, a senior at South and one of the most experienced members of the group, has become a key leader in Amplitude and feels bittersweet about his final season in this show choir.

“Amplitude has been a big part of me since 8th grade, and I’m going to miss it a lot. We’re a younger group this year because we lost a lot of important seniors, but I’m really looking forward to this season; and I think that it will be really good,” Crowley said.

If you’re interested in watching these groups perform, head over to bctboxoffice.org/event/beat-fall-show/ for more info. Fall performances are on Tuesday, Oct. 16 and Wednesday, Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults and $7 for students and kids.