Trump to test FEMA warning

Today, at 2:18 p.m. ET, President Donald Trump will send you a text (if you have a US phone number). This text is part of the Integrated Public Warning System, in cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). It gives the White House the ability to notify the entire country of an issue in an efficient way. It can be expected to mimic an Amber Alert or Emergency Weather Warning, but there is no reason to be alarmed. Two minutes following the text, FEMA will also test it’s emergency alert system on TV and radio.

Junior Helen Christ said this test makes her uncomfortable because, “If they can send us texts, what else can they do through our phones?”

Sophomore Luca Castronova believes that this text is the most effective way for emergency information to get to people this day in age.

“People still use televisions and radios, but not as frequently. Almost everyone has their phone on them, and a text can give specific information on an emergency instead of just sounding an alarm.”

1
View Comments (1)
$360
$500