South girls fall to Center Grove in PKs

Saturday morning the girl’s soccer team suited up against Center Grove in the Regional semifinal. The temperature was low, but Panther pride was not, as fans filled the stands bundled up in blankets and sweatshirts. The Panthers(14-3-3), coming off a 1-0 sectional title win against North, struggled on the attack. With junior midfielder Clara Vouskil sidelined due to injury and several other Panthers boasting knee and leg braces, the ball often found its way into Panther territory, challenging the back line and sophomore goalkeeper Kristen Morgan to come up with some impressive saves.

Senior Hope Gummere, along with a combination of seniors Caitlin Nash and Jordan Monson, and juniors Kira Kunzman and Nicole Hardy fought valiantly on the defensive end, stifling the Trojan’s attack and allowing no goals throughout the 80 minutes and two full periods of overtime.

Inevitably, with neither offense able to capitalize in the 94 minute span, the game went to penalty kicks. After several attempts from both sides, the Panthers were down 3-1 and needed a goal to continue, but after a kick from Kunzman sailed to the left and past the goal post, South saw their season end in dramatic fashion.