Optimize: week of Oct. 8

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are six national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Hurricane Michael rages against the coast of Florida

A monster hurricane hit Florida this week, causing widespread destruction. So far, 13 deaths have been reported. Many others have been left without homes and food, desperately trying to find somewhere to go for the meantime.

Russian rocket malfunctions during liftoff

A Russian Soyuz rocket stopped working two minutes after liftoff which led to them to having to do an emergency parachute landing 200 miles away from their station in Kazakhstan. NASA was supposed to launch another three person group to space in December, but as of now that mission has been called off until the issue is 100 percent fixed.

Kavanaugh sworn in

After accusations of sexual assault, Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in as a justice in the supreme court last Saturday. Kavanaugh had been accused of sexual assault by three women following the supreme court nomination.

2018 Nobel Peace Prize Winners Announced

The winners of the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize are Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad. They are both being honored for their work helping victims of sexual assault.

85-million-year-old sea monster found

You may recognize the mosasaur as the dinosaur who consumed a whole shark at the beginning of hit movie “Jurassic World”. Fossils of this animal have been discovered in Kansas and are currently being used to learn what dinosaur DNA looks like.

Wedding of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank

The couple were married at St George’s Chapel on Oct. 12. Among the guests were other royal family members including Duchesses Kate and Meghan, Dukes William and Harry, Princess Charlotte and Prince George and Queen Elizabeth herself.

Local Bonus: IU impounds 150 Bird scooters

Parking enforcement officers have impounded around 150 electric rentable scooters due to improper parking in areas such as pedestrian walkways. The scooters are supposed to be parked at bike racks. If they are found elsewhere, they will be impounded and kept in a warehouse until further distribution of them occurs.