Optimize: week of Oct. 22

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Suspected arrested for bombs sent to Democratic politicians and celebrities

Cesar Sayoc Jr., a 56 year-old man from Florida, was arrested today for allegedly sending bombs to several politicians and celebrities, including former President Barack Obama, Congresswoman Maxine Waters and actor Robert De Niro.

2018 midterm elections happening soon

More than 8 million people have already voted, heavily surpassing the amount of early voted from the 2016 election. Most of the early votes so far have been Republican unlike the mostly Democratic early voters in 2016. Midterm elections are on Nov. 6.

Chicago Blackhawks have great start to their season

The Chicago Blackhawks are on a roll so far in the early NHL season. They’ve dominated the New York Rangers and are currently standing at an impressive 6-2-2 record, with the Nashville Predators being the only team left standing ahead of them.

Matthew Shepard’s ashes interred in Washington DC cathedral 20 years after death

20 years after the death of Matthew Shepard, Shepard’s ashes have been placed at the Washington National Cathedral. Shepard was a homosexual student at the University of Wyoming in 1998 when he was abducted, beaten and left to die in freezing weather. His death was the result of a hate crime.

US Economy grows 3.5 percent during the third quarter

United States GDP increased by 3.5 percent in the third quarter compared to 4.2 percent during the second quarter. Economists projected the economy to slow down this year, but the pace is indicating another 3 percent increase this year which meets marks from the blockbuster 2005.

Local Bonus: A local historian is being honored by the Indiana Historical Society

Bloomington resident Elizabeth Mitchell is the recipient of the Indiana Historical Society’s 2018 Hubert Hawkins Local History Award.