Optimize: week of Nov. 5

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Thousand Oaks shooting

On the one year anniversary of the Las Vegas mass shooting at a country music festival, another mass shooting took place in  Thousand Oaks, California. At the Borderline Bar and Grill, a gunman injured 22 people and killed 12.

California wildfires update

There are currently three major wildfires burning in California, forcing 75,000 people from their homes. The Camp Fire is currently the largest, followed by the Hill Fire and then the Woolsey Fire.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns

At the request of President Trump, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions submitted his letter of resignation on Wednesday. With Sessions and Trump’s relationship declining after the debacle involving Russia’s interference with the 2016 election, Sessions will now be replaced by Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker. Session’s permanent replacement will be announced at a later date.

Marijuana legalization in recent election

Michigan, Utah and Missouri all saw marijuana legalized during the midterm election. Utah and Missouri approved it for medicinal uses, while Michigan legalized it for recreational and medical uses. This midterm saw the legalization of marijuana (in some form) in 33 states.

Female revolution in recent election

Over 98 women were elected to the House and Senate in the recent midterm election taking place this past Tuesday. Many of these women were women of color, including two Native Americans, one Somali American and two Muslim women. According to the New Yorker, this election is increasing activism among women.

Local Bonus: Bloomington North janitor fired for recording girls in locker room

A Bloomington North janitor was found recording students changing in the girls locker room. A group of girls involved in club swim discovered a phone hidden in a trash bag. Now former custodian, William Mars, was questioned and eventually admitted to setting up the phone in the locker room.