Lift off for Takeoff’s new album

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

Rappers Quavo, Offset and Takeoff came together in 2011 to create the rap outfit “Migos.” They have become very popular in the rap game with hits such as “Walk it, Talk it” and “Stirfry.” However, after producing 12 albums together, the respective Migos are taking a shot at working on solo projects.

After last month’s release of “Quavo Huncho,” the self titled release by the band’s most prominent member, Takeoff did decide to release his own solo project called “The Last Rocket” on Nov. 2. “The Last Rocket” features 12 songs headlined by “Infatuation” and “Insomnia.” Although this album is considered to be a solo project for Takeoff, both Offset and Quavo are featured in separate songs on the album. Users of Google Play have given this album 4.5 stars, which is a higher rating than most other Migos albums. Some South students who are avid fans of the rap industry agree with the high rating.

“[‘The Last Rocket’] was good. Takeoff is underrated in most Migos songs, but he had a chance to really showcase himself,” sophomore Maddie Smith said.

Her favorite songs from the album were the hit singles “Insomnia” and “Lead the Wave.” Smith found the intro/outro to be the only dry songs on the album, and she felt that, after listening, Takeoff can hold his own as a successful solo artist.

“I’d give it a seven [out of 10] because it wasn’t amazing, but I enjoyed listening to it. It isn’t something I would listen to on repeat though,” Smith said. Senior Justin Pemberton felt similarly to Smith, “It’s fire. All the songs are very catchy and flow well together. Although Offset is my favorite Migos member, this album definitely exceeded expectations,” Pemberton said.

Pemberton agreed with Smith in that the outro was the worst song on the album, but he believes that “She Gon Wink” is the best song.

“I’d give it a seven [out of ten]. Most songs are solid, but some of them get repetitive and boring to me,” Pemberton said.

Although two of the three rappers in the group have released solo albums, Offset has yet to release his own project. If any students are interested in the Migos music, Takeoff’s album would be a good step to be ready for the newest Offset album that will likely be coming soon.