Season preview of local theatre in Bloomington

Looking for some great local events to get through the seemingly never-ending winter in Bloomington? Lucky for you, Bloomington is home to a variety of theatre opportunities, sure to warm you up on these cold days.

Bloomington Playwrights Project:

The Bloomington Playwrights Project (BPP) is a the only professional theatre in Indiana dedicated to the development and production of new plays. Although you may often hear that theatre is a dying art, the BPP provides the Bloomington theatre community with hope for the future of live art. The BPP is mid-way through its season, and its most upcoming production is a musical titled “Tuning In,” featuring South senior Calvin Prenkert. With a stellar cast, “Tuning In” tells the story of the fictional Harmony Hill retirement community and the struggle of the residents to maintain their locally-run radio station. Prenkert plays the role of Matt La Mont, a quirky, talkative, college student dedicated to helping the residents in their fight for their station.

Tickets can be purchased here: the Bloomington Playwrights Project

Cardinal Stage Company:

One of the most beloved theatre companies in Bloomington, Cardinal Stage company is returning for the winter season with their production of “Beauty and the Beast.” A well-known show, suitable for all ages, “Beauty and the Beast” depicts the struggle of Belle, the daughter of an inventor in a small town, as she is imprisoned in a castle by a fearsome but misunderstood beast. Along with the Beast, Belle is joined by the other residents of the castle, all of whom have been turned into living objects. With the help of an amusing candle, an uptight clock, an endearing tea pot and a flirty feather-duster, Belle manages to not only free herself but also the Beast and the rest of the castle from their magical curse. The cast is joined by sophomore Lucia Walker, and the show runs from Dec. 13-30. Following “Beauty and the Beast” will be “Rounding Third,” a comedic play following the journey of two fathers as they coach their little league team. With differing philosophies, the two men struggle to be a unified team, but they manage to bond and end coming to some startling self-realizations.

Tickets can be purchased here: https://cardinalstage.org/tickets/

IU Auditorium:

The IU Auditorium is home to an array of different events, ranging from stand-up comedy, to showchoir, to musical theatre performances. This season, the auditorium welcomes national tours of many Broadways shows, notably “Rent,” “Something Rotten” and “Finding Neverland.”

Based off of the opera “La Bohème,” “Rent” tells the story of several interconnected, struggling artists in New York City as they attempt to find their places in the world, underlying themes revolving around love, loss, fidelity and the struggle of dealing with HIV/AIDS in the 1980s.

Tickets are available at http://www.iuauditorium.com/events/detail/rent-2018

IU Theatre:

The Wells-Metz Theatre, as part of the Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance at Indiana University, offers a variety of musical and plays put on by the theatre department and its students. The theatre recently finished a run of “Pippin” and will soon be performing “The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?” This unique show follows the life of architect Martin Gray and his wife and son. Gray falls in love with a goat and must figure out how to keep his life intact as a series of events compromise his idyllic life. Due to the nature of the production, this play is intended for mature audiences only. To learn about the rest of IU Theatre’s season, visit: https://theatre.indiana.edu/on-stage/index.html

Ivy Tech John Waldron Art’s Center:

Opening on Dec. 7, “Evil Dead: the Musical” will be performed by Ivy Tech Student Productions. “Evil Dead” is a rock musical chronicling five college students as they stay the weekend in a cabin in the middle of the woods. As the students accidentally unleash an evil force that turns them into demons, it’s up to Ash to be the hero and get rid of the demons. With a 1 hour and 45 minute run time, the show is bloody hilarious, pun intended. For those sitting in the “splash zone,” the audience should expect to definitely get splashed by fake blood! Dress appropriately and enjoy a night at “Evil Dead: the Musical.”

Bloomington Musical Arts Center:

To end our preview of local theatre, look for the MAC to provide you with their annual production of “The Nutcracker.” The ballet, with music written by Peter IIyich Tchaikovsky, is a Bloomington winter classic and follows the story of a young girl named Clara. After falling asleep under the Christmas tree with a nutcracker doll, Clara goes on a magical journey through extraordinary lands and meets many remarkable characters, including the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Nutcracker Prince. This infamous production is one of the most well-known ballets and is characterized by elegant, exquisite dancing by the whole ensemble. To purchase tickets for this classic production, visit: https://operaballet.indiana.edu/productions/nutcracker.html