Song of the Week: November 26

Four staffers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

Week of Nov. 26:  

This week’s theme: Comfort

Calvin Prenkert-  My song of the week is “Waterloo Sunset” by Busman’s Holiday. Busman’s Holiday is a local Bloomington band and on their 2009 album “Old Friends” they do a cover of the Kinks classic song that in my opinion rivals the original. The song’s acoustic guitar and beautiful vocals blend perfectly to remind you that there is still beauty in the world if we can stop and look for it. Because of this, I have always felt comforted when listening to this song.

Jackson Moore- My song of the week is “Falling Down” by Lil Peep and XXXTentacion. This song has a very peaceful flow which sets a different narrative than most of these artists hits. “Falling Down” is an inspirational piece because Lil Peep passed away due to an overdose before finishing the hit. XXXTentacion felt the vibe of the song and was able to come in and add verses to complete the song as a momento for Lil Peep. I find myself listening to this whenever I need a lift-me-up because of the heartwarming action done to produce it.

Tommy McEvilly- My song of the week is “Promise” by Ben Howard. At 6:24, “Promise” is the longest song on the album “Every Kingdom”, but it is well worth the listen. The song takes a while to get going, taking the first 30 seconds to set a thought-provoking scene. As string instruments gradually begin to fill the sound, Howard’s mellow, haunting voice may not seem like it would make you feel comfortable. However, the simplicity of the song helps to create an open atmosphere and lets you be emotionally vulnerable. The song and its instrumental sections are perfect for a late-night drive, or if you’re just trying to get in tune with your feelings.  

Noah Moore- This week, my song is “Something in the Way She Moves” by James Taylor. It’s a quiet song, with only acoustic guitar to accompany his voice. It’s a love song of sorts, one where the woman is the singer’s comfort. He notes that often her voice alone is soothing, a place of solace to which he can escape. It’s a fitting line, as Taylor’s voice soothes the listener with every line he sings. The song also has significance to me, as it’s my mother’s favorite song, and I heard it many times growing up.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week:

https://open.spotify.com/user/loriuliana/playlist/1rcFpovgYaoDzsDBejQGBw?si=CmKNgzWeQRyo99eo7vj-8g