Conner a hot shooter in recent South success

Calvin Prenkert

It’s been a great start for the Bloomington South girls basketball team, but it hasn’t just been senior USI commit Addy Blackwell carrying the load. There have been a plethora of sophomores and juniors contributing, including junior Lauren Conner, who has been a deadly shooter from the three point line.

“I credit my teammates for my success,” Conner said. “We work really well together, and they make it easy for me to get better shots. I’ve been shooting pretty well.”

Conner has been more than ‘pretty good’ this season, as almost all of her points come from behind the arc. Not only is she shooting a lot, she’s been quite efficient from three point land, shooting well over 50 percent. Not only does she lead all juniors in scoring, she is second in points just behind Blackwell, who is having a successful senior campaign.

“Lauren has a fat clip,” junior teammate Kristen Ridner said. “She worked really hard on her shot in the summer, and it’s shown this season.”

South has had some very big wins over larger schools like Pike, Jeffersonville and Columbus East. The girls have a relatively easy schedule ahead of them, and at 8-1 currently, the odds seem to be in favor for the girls. Conner attributes this success to how much depth is on the team.

“It’s crazy how much contribution we get from everyone,” Conner said. “Obviously Addy is good, but we’re loaded with juniors like Anneke [Furr], Kristen [Ridner] Clara [Voskuil]. Not only that but we have young players that are going to be really good soon like [sophomore] Anya Friend and [freshman] Kendall Harmon.”

After knocking down over a dozen three point shots in the last three games, Conner will look to continue her hot streak for the rest of the season. The girls will have an important match up this Thursday as they travel to Greenwood to take on Center Grove.