Students rave for “Red [not] Dead Redemption 2”

Photo+Courtesy+of+Creative+Commons+
Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

As more and more of the younger generation becomes enthralled by video games, it is increasingly more important for companies to produce new content for gamers. Rockstar Games, creators of “Grand Theft Auto” and “Red Dead Redemption,” has created an absolute masterpiece of a game, dominating the gaming community.

“Red Dead Redemption 2,” the prequel to “Red Dead Redemption,” was released in October and is becoming an entertainment phenomenon. The game accumulated $725 million within three days of release, giving it the highest-grossing opening weekend of any entertainment product. “Red Dead Redemption 2” is beginning to show the world that gaming culture is a very lucrative and serious market with potential to prosper in the entertainment industry, especially in America.

IGN, the most pronounced entertainment media website in America, gave “Red Dead Redemption 2” a 10/10. This sort of rating doesn’t happen often and requires a nearly perfect gaming experience to receive. As this game takes the world and Bloomington South by storm, I set out to find why students find this game so enthralling.

Junior Reid Johnson enlightened me on his favorite aspects of the game and the improvements made from the 2010 version.

“Red Dead two is so much fun to play because it’s such a huge world to explore. Even though riding around from place to place may take 15-30 minutes, the developers put so much time and effort in to allow you to enjoy it. In terms of improvements, the game did an overhaul in graphics, the game is just beautiful to look at,” Johnson said.

Johnson enjoys the single player mode, but he believes the online could be improved; a sentiment shared throughout most of the gaming community. After putting 12 hours into the game, Johnson is considered an avid player of “Red Dead Redemption 2” and is excited to see what Rockstar does next.

Senior Tess Harrison reiterated the claims made by Johnson, continuously praising the blockbuster game. She agreed that the story mode has been perfected, but that the currency of the online needs some sort of revamp.

““Red Dead Redemption 2”’s storyline really kept me interested throughout the game. It’s extremely well thought out, and [it’s] unlike any other game I’ve played. Also, there is just so much to do, so I never get bored,” Harrison said.

Both Harrison and Johnson found “Red Dead Redemption 2” to be their favorite game of the year, if not of all time.