Ways to give back this holiday season

The holiday season is the perfect time to give back to people in your community. If you’re feeling stuck, here are a list of places to give your time, money or resources locally:

Camp Kesem

“Camp Kesem is an active community throughout the United States, driven by college students, supporting children through and beyond their parent’s cancer with free year-round services. Camp Kesem’s main program is a week-long sleepaway summer camp for kids whose parents have or have had cancer.”

What they need: Donations to the Cancer Center fund.

Habitat for Humanity Monroe County

“Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization that helps people in your community and around the world build or improve a place they can call home.”

What they need: Build volunteers. Visit their website to get involved.

Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington

“Boys & Girls Clubs of America is a national organization of local chapters which provide after-school programs for young people.”

What they need: Volunteers and monetary donations. Visit their website to learn more.

Bloomington Interfaith Winter Shelter

“The Interfaith Winter Shelter opens on Nov. 1-3 at Trinity and First Christian churches. On Nov. 4, it will move to the Wheeler Mission, 215 S Westplex Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47404. The Wheeler Mission will then host the shelter for 2017-2018 season.”

What they need: Volunteers.

Middle Way House

“Provides supportive and empowering services for survivors of domestic abuse, sexual violence, stalking and human trafficking such as emergency shelter; a 24/7 help and crisis line; on-scene advocacy, transitional and permanent housing solutions; legal advocacy; support groups; personal advocacy; childcare and youth programs and educational and prevention programs”

What they need: Volunteers and monetary donations.

Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard

“MHC works to increase access to healthy food in ways that cultivate dignity, self-sufficiency and community.”

What they need: Volunteers, monetary donations, food donations.

Cardinal Stage Company

“Cardinal Stage produces high-quality professional theater that engages audiences and strengthens the cultural, educational and economic vibrancy of South Central Indiana.”

What they need: iPad x2; vacuum; Swiffer mop and pads; digital camera that takes stills and video; projector; belt sander; compact drill x2; trigger clamp x2; keyboard (Yamaha P-125).

Bloomington High School South Dance Marathon for Riley Hospital

“Our Dance Marathon has raised over $1,000,000 in the past 13 years for Riley Hospital for Children. On behalf of every penny, we want to thank all of our donors and dancers for their wonderful commitment.”

What they need: Monetary donations.