South gymnastics meet recap

On Monday, South gymnastics competed in their first meet at Bloomington High School North. South placed second overall, with North in first place and Edgewood in third. Senior Erin Fulford placed first in vault and was the only South gymnast that placed first in any events.

“My vault pass is called a half-half and I got a score of 8.7,” Fulford said. “I was very confident about my pass, and while I compete with a floor and bar routine also, I think vault is my strongest event.”  

Fulford is excited for the upcoming season, saying that the team has very strong competitors for each event, and that the team is continuing to strengthen and perfect their new skills.

“I think we will have a great season with many accomplish[ments].”

Senior Lizbeth Funkhouser was in a boot and unable to compete in the first meet, but she is proud of how her team did on Monday.

“I think we had a really great first meet, even if we didn’t throw our biggest skills. With the added difficulties in our routines, we’re only going to improve as the season goes on,” Funkhouser said.

Funkhouser’s personal goal for the year is to increase the level of difficulty and skills in her routine, as well as become confident with the more difficult skills she is mastering.

“I also think one of our team goals is to have all people competing on bars and beam to stay in those events for the whole season and for everyone to hit a clean routine.”

Catch the South gymnastics team at Noblesville on Jan. 14 at 6:00.