2019 Golden Globes recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Golden Globes recap

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Maddie Roberts, Staff Writer

A live proposal, Christian Bale thanking Satan, an apology for cultural appropriation by Emma Stone and a classic homage to Judy Garland are just a handful of the most memorable parts of the 2019 Golden Globes.

Before recapping the winners, there were many moments that should definitely be highlighted.

Hosts Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg were an interesting duo, but they proved to be very reflective of the diversity of the people and films that were nominated or received awards this year. Films such as “Crazy Rich Asians” and “Black Panther” are just a few examples of this. Oh was the first ever Asian American host of the Golden Globes as well.

Speaking of Asian American representation, Samberg made a comment about “Crazy Rich Asians” being the first studio film with an Asian American lead since “Ghost in the Shell” and “Aloha” both featured white actresses playing Asian American roles. Emma Stone yelled “I’m sorry!” from the crowd following his comment, and has been criticized on social media for it since.

Another more controversial comment made by Samberg was in response to the new film, “A Star Is Born.” When introducing Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, Samberg said, “He discovered Ally and she discovered him in the garage.” This comment made fun of Cooper’s character hanging himself in the garage in the film. Samberg’s comment caused a lot of backlash, primarily on Twitter.

Deemed one of the best outfits of the night, Lady Gaga wore a periwinkle ball gown with matching light blue hair as a homage to Judy Garland, the lead of the 1954 version of “A Star Is Born.” The dress is similar to the one Garland wore during part of the film.

On a more questionable note, Christian Bale, who played Dick Cheney in the film “Vice,” received his award and then proceeded to say, “Thank you to Satan for giving me inspiration on how to play this role.”

Finally, Amy Poehler and her girlfriend, Maya Rudolph, got engaged while presenting an award. Rudolph started with, “I’m so sorry, guys, but I have to do this,” and then pulled out the ring and proposed.

Now for the winners of the 2019 Golden Globes:

Best Motion Picture – Drama: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: “Green Book”

Best Performance By An Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama: Glenn Close (“The Wife”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama: Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Olivia Colman (“The Favourite”)

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (“Roma”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy: Christian Bale (“Vice”)

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: Regina King (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”)

Best Original Score in a Motion Picture: Justin Hurwitz (“First Man”)

Best Original Song in a Motion Picture: “Shallow” (“A Star Is Born”)

Best Screenplay in a Motion Picture: Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie (“Green Book”)

Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language: “Roma”

Best Animated Film: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best TV series – Drama: “The Americans”

Best performance by Actress in a TV series – Drama: Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”)

Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series – Drama: Richard Madden (“Bodyguard”)

Best TV series – Musical or Comedy: “The Kominsky Method”

Best Performance by an Actress in a TV series – Musical or Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)

Best Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Patricia Arquette (“Escape at Dannemora”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Ben Whishaw (“A Very English Scandal”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Patricia Clarkson (“Sharp Objects”)

About the Writer
Maddie Roberts, Staff Writer/Business Ads Manager

Currently in her second year on staff, Maddie is looking forward to making the most of this year while it lasts. She plans to major in Sociology in college...