Song of the Week: January 21st

Back to Article
Back to Article

Song of the Week: January 21st

After a brief hiatus, three staff writers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

Week of January 21

Tommy McEvilly-  My song of the week is “Almost (Sweet Music)” by Hozier. Released only about a week ago on January 16, Hozier makes a return to what he knows best with this song. While the song may be a little more traditionally “poppish” than others that he tends to produce, the guitar work, lyrics, and vocals are classic Hozier at his finest. The poetic nature of the song is a beautiful aspect, but combined with the upbeat tempo and feel, it allows the song to reach the listener on deeper, personal level. The track is a great addition to Hozier’s discography, and it is sure to assert itself as one of Hozier’s most memorable works, as well as promoting Hozier as a truly remarkable artist.

Jackson Moore- My song of the week is “Losin Control” by Russ. This song gives off a very chill vibe for all listeners. Russ has a very smooth voice that lures everyone into his jazz/hip hop music. He typically uses a solid drum beat in the back with some sort of electronically created sound in his music. This song was inspired by a relationship in the artist’s life, speaking about a girl falling in love and losing control. However, the man in the song was cheating on this girl and misrepresenting her in the song. “Losin Control” is a song that may not have the most positive message, but it does have a soft vibe that makes me want to listen to it on repeat.

Noah Moore- This week, my song is “Harmony Hall” by Vampire Weekend. Released this past Thursday, the song marks Vampire Weekend’s first song released since their 2013 album, “Modern Vampires of the City”. It’s the lead single off of their upcoming album “Father of the Bride”. “Harmony Hall” is a light and joyous song that sounds like the sunrise. Slightly darker lyrics lurk just below the surface and even express in the chorus “I don’t want to live like this, but I don’t want to die.” Confusing undertones aside, the song is pure joy condensed into five sweet minutes.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week:

https://open.spotify.com/user/loriuliana/playlist/1rcFpovgYaoDzsDBejQGBw?si=CmKNgzWeQRyo99eo7vj-8g