One week in, Panther Hoops pecking order begins to take form

(2018) Ca$h Money guard Gio Alicea prepares to bank a fullcourt shot

Ca$h Money is still the best team, no surprise. C-Team’s early woes, Half Senders’ dominating start and this year’s widened gap between top teams and middling ones: there’s the surprise. 

Ca$h Money dominates in early matchups versus top teams

It’s been business as usual for last year’s champs.

In the matchup against No. 2 Ball Brothers, even junior guard JJ Thomas’ stellar night couldn’t topple the preseason favorites. Meanwhile, Ca$h Money seniors Jackson Moore and Wil Stockman exploded in the second half to help the team to victory. The 61 to 50 final wasn’t indicative of the dominating first game performance exhibited by Ca$h Money, but it does solidify the league’s hierarchy. Ca$h Money 61, Ball Brothers 50.

Against C-Team, the teams were relatively even early on, with Ca$h Money leading just 24 to 22. However, Ca$h Money began trapping and forcing turnovers, proceeding to go on a 76 to 14 run to close out the game. Again, senior guard Jackson Moore couldn’t really be stopped. Ca$h Money 100, C-Team 36.

Half Senders steamroll two top five teams

The team from North has solidified themselves at the top of the league, winning each of their first two games by at least 40 points. Junior guard Diego Smith has been excellent (he doesn’t miss), and the balanced crew of Sam Wercynski, Max Graf, Tyler Gary and Charlie Bless has been tough to stop. What’s been interesting to see is the Half Senders team chemistry, as they’ve been fundamentally sound in transition and when playing straight up. The road will get tougher soon, however, as the Half Senders face No. 2 Ball Brothers on Thursday and No. 1 Ca$h Money on Sunday.

Against C-Team, the floodgates burst open from three as the team shot a projected 70 percent from the three point line. The team’s balanced scoring attack helped them demolish a talented C-Team organization. Meanwhile, C-Team relied heavily on senior guard Scott Grabowski to generate offense. It’ll take more contributions from senior forwards Jackson Younger and Jonathan Collins for the team to turn things around. Half Senders 89, C-Team 47.

Versus the Fat Clips, Half Senders’ clips ultimately proved a heck of a lot fatter. The Half Senders jumped out to a 17 to nothing lead and never really looked back. Again, the balanced scoring attack was evident with contributions from all seven of the Senders. Center Aidan Lowinger, a projected 7-foot-9, blocked more than half of the shots attempted by the Fat Clips. The Fat Clips were led in scoring by junior guard Nick Cannon (16), while the rest of the team’s 36 points were rationed out pretty evenly. Half Senders 79, Fat Clips 36.

Ball Brothers crush Tune Squad, secure themselves at number two in the power rankings

Tune Squad’s perimeter defense was lacking, and the Ball Brothers sure took advantage. Guard Braydon Douglas hit five or six three pointers, and the team’s other sharpshooters began to rain it in from three. Tune Squad sophomore forward Drew Todd did display some physicality inside the paint, snatching tons of rebounds. But the team failed to consistently score on the offensive end and couldn’t contain Ball Brothers’ shooting ability. Ball Brothers by 40.

Slim Clips fall to Panther Hoops #1, edge Deep Threats in quadruple overtime

Against Panther Hoops #1, junior guard Ryan Hudson got off to a hot start shooting the basketball, hitting on his first three shots. After that, the Slim Clips offense slowed as the game got ugly. Junior guards Grant Yeagley and Teddy Lashley also hit some key three point shots to keep the Slim Clips ahead for most of the game. For Panther Hoops #1, David Morgan returned to dominate on the hardwood. Morgan, a junior from North, dropped 18 on South’s varsity as a freshman. He scored 27 on Sunday night, displaying physicality inside the paint. The Slim Clips had numerous opportunities to pull ahead, but missed four free throws and several three pointers late in the game. Panther Hoops #1 49, Slim Clips 47.

In a matchup with the Deep Threats, the Slim Clips didn’t need to do much to be victorious. Junior guard Ryan Hudson attempted about 25 halfcourt shots, connecting on maybe 3 of them. But inside the paint, center Will Quigley got just about every rebound and then dropped the ball through the net. For the Deep Threats, junior guard Katrina Tann hit a clutch three pointer late in the first half to get the team close to double digits. Additionally, there were some ingenious plays crafted by the Deep Threats, of which Coach Holmes has surely already begun implementing at practice. Unimpressed with the game, Commissioner Jay True commented “you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.” Slim Clips 76, Deep Threats 14.

OSports Power Rankings (updated 2/4)

1. Ca$h Money (2-0) (-)

2. Ball Brothers (1-1)

3. Half Senders (2-0) (-)

(down here)

4. C-Team (0-2) (-)

5. Tune Squad (1-1) (+1)

6. Fat Clips (0-1) (-1)

7. Air Jordans (2-0) (-)

8. Wet and Shloopy (1-0) (-)

9. The Janitors (0-1) (-)

10. PHoops #1 (1-1) (-)

11. Benchwarmers (1-1) (-)

12. Slim Clips (1-1) (-)

13. The Quitters (0-2) (-)

14. Deep Threats (0-1) (-)