Winter sports update

During halftime, senior girls basketball guard guard and USI commit Addy Blackwell was honored for scoring 1,000 points during her career at South

Boys Wrestling

Last weekend at the boys wrestling state championship at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, three Panther wrestlers represented Bloomington South.

South senior Derek Blubaugh had a solid day, placing fourth in the 170 pound weight class. Also representing South, was senior Elliston Ross and sophomore Cade Meier, representing the 152 and 126 weight classes respectively.

“It’s always heartbreaking coming up short,” said Ross. “Overall, we had a pretty solid year and this team has a bright future ahead of them.”

Girls Wrestling

Back in early January, senior Cierra Broukal won her second consecutive state championship in just the second year Bloomington South has participated in girls wrestling. Along with Broukal, junior Gracie Lawson placed second at state, a step up from last years fourth place finish. Senior Aneisha Porter won one of three matches.

Girls Swimming

The extremely young girls swimming team came up short at state, placing 12th as a team. Sophomore Gillian Boggs and freshman Kristina Paegle performed the best for South, placing 8th and 12th in their respective categories.  

Girls Basketball

After defeating Columbus North to advance to regionals, the girls basketball team’s season has come to an end after losing to Castle in Bedford. South, who defeated Castle earlier this season, was atrocious from three point range, shooting 4-24 behind the arc.

“It was a disappointing end to a good season,” junior Kristen Ridner said. “We wanted to go farther for Addy, but we will be a senior heavy team next year.”