Optimist 2018-19 softball team preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Optimist 2018-19 softball team preview

Calvin Prenkert, Editor

The snow is melting (for now…), and the grass is becoming greener once again. It’s time for the perennially winning Optimist Softball team to begin Spring training, and for the Gothic yearbook to start preparing for the worst. As with every year, the Optimist graduates some stellar talent from last years team but also is able to reign in new highly touted players who are eager to compete for the golden typewriter. Last year the Optimist squad secured their fifth straight win and tenth win all in all. Optimist will be looking to keep the streak alive in May of this year.

Optimist graduated some supreme talent, with editor and ace pitcher Mallorey Daunhauer joining the college ball clubs along with fellow editors Elizabeth Rickert and Molly Wagschal. Another key Optimist loss was the self proclaimed Lebron James of Softball, William Gibbons.

However, the superior publication is returning some heavy hitters. The ever present advisor Kathleen Mills is back and will be supposedly stronger than ever after spending countless hours strength training in the YMCA swimming pool. Newly appointed editors and seniors Jennifer Crystal (who suffered a hand injury in last year’s game), Taylor Harmon and Calvin Prenkert will lead the way. Optimist Softball 2017-18 game MVP and senior Seth Thomas is also slated to return to the dugout after an extended offseason.

The well known seed spitting dinger swinging juniors of the Optimist sports department: Sports Editor J.T. Kelly, Logan Hanchett and John Law will be back in full force. The hallowed dinger trifecta will serve in its third year together as the aforementioned Prenkert, senior and top tier catcher Joseph Ermey and athletic do-it-all senior Ethan Baer will all be returning to the dugout hungry for big league chew and a third straight win together. The 2017-18 returnees for the Optimist squad will be rounded out by junior Katie Apple and seniors Lexi Cornett, Alex Christopher, Maddie Roberts and Lilly Thomas.

The Optimist went in heavy on recruitment this year, previewing LeBron’s impending blockbuster offseason recruitment with the Los Angeles Lakers, bringing in some of South’s best. New additions to the already strong sports department are juniors Brock Pedersen and Colin Doyle, and seniors Tommy Beggs and Jackson Moore (Moore is a two-time Panther Hoops MVP). Also joining the ranks are seniors Eli Chafin, Olivia Dodrill, Noah Moore and Tommy McEvilly. Senior Austin Willis, former Optimist TA and instagram famous body builder is also eligible to participate, but is still undecided as to whether he will lace up for the big event. Other new additions are sophomores Hailey Allgood and Paige Litkenhous and junior Melissa Thomas both bringing youth to a senior heavy dugout.

For the first time in several years, the Gothic Yearbook roster boasts what looks to be a solid roster with plenty of options. With the exception of graduated members Creighton King, Emily Long and Sarah Brown the core of the team remains. The editors are young and spry, with only one senior, Nicole Brown, and two juniors, Jack Lyles and Olivia Karaboja. Also returning for the Gothic squad is junior Tabby Duvall, who had some strong trash talk and play during last year’s game. New additions are juniors Nick Cannon, Seth Stanik and Reid Johnson. The Gothic staff’s premiere player, however, will likely be senior Oreva Odimoir, a man who has often drawn comparisons to Michael Jordan in terms of athleticism, intellect and entrepreneurship.

The Optimist will be looking to secure another victory for the resume while the Gothic staff will look to finally snap the loss streak and gain glory for a publication that has had one win in the 11 year history of the hallowed game. Pack the stands, place your bets and pick out some snacks, because this game will not disappoint.

2018-19 Optimist Softball Roster:

Mathleen Kills (HC)

Jennifer Crystal (C)

Taylor Harmon (C)

Calvin Prenkert (C)

J.T. Kelly (A)

Logan Hanchett

Jackson Moore

Seth Thomas

Olivia Dodrill

Katie Apple

Ethan Baer

Joseph Ermey

Austin Willis

John Law

Tommy Beggs

Colin Doyle

Brock Pedersen

Maddie Roberts

Tommy McEvilly

Noah Moore

Lexi Cornett

Alex Christopher

Paige Litkenhous

Hailey Allgood

Melissa Thomas

Eli Chafin

Lilly Thomas