Spring sports update

Baseball: South baseball has pleasantly overperformed this season to say the least, only suffering close losses to Jasper and Terre Haute North. A plethora of pitchers have taken the mound this year, with most having thrown well but none better than junior Brayden DeMier and senior Wil Stockman. Stockman, who most recently pitched a shutout in a 15-0 rout over Terre Haute South, has also had a solid year hitting the ball. Junior Sean Azcui has had a phenomenal junior campaign so far, already hitting three home runs. Other notable hitters include juniors Colby Reed and Lucas Gardner.

Panther baseball will keep their 2019 success rolling into late April as they continue to prove to be a real competitor.

“We’re not where we want to be yet,” coach Phil Kluesner said. “For the first nine games of the year, I think we’ve passed all the tests to show that we can play.”  

4/20 @Whiteland, 4/23 @North, 4/27 @ColEast

Softball:

It’s been a disappointing first half of the season for Panther softball, picking up only three wins against small school opponents in North Knox, Shakamak, and White River Valley. Junior catcher Jasper Sons has been a bright spot on a team that has struggled mightily to put the bat on the ball.  

There is some hope for the rest of the season, as the Panthers are coming off of a 20-0 thumping against White River Valley and can hopefully be able to build off that momentum. If they can continue to ride the hot bats of Sons and senior shortstop Lizzie Halstead, as well as build their defense and pitching, a postseason run is certainly possible.

Upcoming games: 4/20 @Whiteland, 4/23 vs North, 4/25 vs Brown County

Girls Tennis: A recent slump from Panther tennis can be blamed primarily on the excessively hard schedule they have had to face this season. In their most recent losses, South has had to face #6 Terre Haute South, #1 Cathedral and a talented McCracken County, KY. They do, however, have some impressive wins over #21 South Bend St. Joseph’s and #19 Jasper. Junior Maya Mills has been a standout this year, winning several matches 6-0 in both sets.

“It’s been a difficult season to say the least,” junior Maggie Doyle said. “We have some really talented girls, and I think things are only going to improve.”

Upcoming matches: 4/25 @North, 4/27 @Southport, 4/30 vs. ColNorth

Boys Golf: While there hasn’t been much action yet for golf, the boys have looked good this year in a win over Martinsville and placing sixth in the Victoria National tournament. Senior Seth Kestranek has improved a lot from his junior season, and sophomore Drew Todd is again having a nice campaign.

Upcoming meets: 4/22 @ColNorth, 4/27 Hall of Fame, 5/4 North Invite

Track: South track, specifically the girls, has been exceptional this year. The girls have won all of their meets so far, with the boys only losing to Columbus North.

Notable boys: junior Maveric Thiery, sophomore Mischa Dzubay and senior Grayson Rolen

Notable girls: senior Jordan Monson, senior Faye Bryan and sophomore Chloe Rolen.

Upcoming meets: 4/20 @Edgewood, 5/1 North, 5/7 City Meet