Panthers respond well, push past host Patriots 35-14

On a perfect night for football, Terre Haute North got out ahead early and engaged in some offensive firepower with South in the first quarter. 

Facing pressure from South’s D-Line, Terre Haute North junior quarterback Matt Gauer tossed up a blooper that mystically landed in the hands of his junior wideout Mahki Johnson. That put the Patriots up 7 to 0.

Then senior tight end Reid Johnson recovered an onside kick attempt, and senior running back Aaron Chestnut ran it in for six. Maveric Thiery, too, following a Patriot three-and-out. But Terre Haute North struck back as Gauer found junior wideout Eli Moody on a 63 yard touchdown pass. 14 to 14.

When they needed it most, senior wideout Sean Azcui made a pivotal play, patiently darting across the field into the endzone and scoring a 60 yard touchdown to put South up 7. 

In the second half, South’s defense really began to take form. Junior safety Maddix Blackwell came up with another interception, junior linebacker Joe Stephens excelled at pass rushing, and senior cornerback John “The Sheriff” Law clamped down on receivers on his side of the field. 

A bit of a West Coast style offense built up momentum through short passes and spurred two more touchdowns for South, with junior quarterback Mason David throwing the ball well to his targets. Senior wideout Jordan Meeks had a breakout game, and senior tight ends James Bomba and Reid Johnson provided easy first downs over the middle. Star senior running back Maveric Thiery ran the ball well on limited carries.

“Our offense came to play tonight. [Mason] David looked great out there and our run game was consistently strong,” said offensive coach Anthony Lindsey. 

When all was said and done it was South on top, cruising 35 to 14 over the host Patriots. A great response by the Panthers in this one has them carrying momentum into rival week against Bloomington North.