Gillard, DeMier, earn OSports athletes of the fall

As fall sports come to a close, the Optimist Sports Department would like to recognize two athletes who went above and beyond this season. These two showed excellence in both leadership and performance in their respective sports. 

Jack Gillard- Cross Country

Gillard is a senior who has been a key member of the varsity cross country team for the last four years. Because of his experience, it only made sense for him to fill the No. 1 spot left vacant by Ian Shaw. Gillard has led the Panther cross country team to yet another semi-state qualifier and has high expectations.

“We’ve got a really good team this year and we expect nothing less than another top five finish at state,” Gillard said. 

He plans on bringing his talents to the collegiate level and will attend either Indiana or Purdue. 

Bailey DeMier- Volleyball

A captain since her freshman season, DeMier just wrapped up a successful junior campaign in which she led South volleyball to a 21-12 record. She was again stellar this season, averaging 9.5 assists per set. DeMier will continue her volleyball collegiately at Murray State University.