Rest in peace, Lil Bub

Courtesy+of+Lil+Bub%27s+Instagram.+

Courtesy of Lil Bub's Instagram.

Fahad Aloufi, Staff Writer

Internet cat celebrity, Lil Bub, recently died on December 1st at 8 years old. Her death sent waves across social media with millions of fans wishing her condolences and recounting her short-lived life. 

Her owner, Mike Bridavsky, posted the news of her death on social media. 

On the morning of Sunday, December 1st 2019 we lost the purest, kindest and most magical living force on our planet. BUB was cheerful and full of love laying in our bed with us Saturday night, but unexpectedly passed away peacefully in her sleep,” wrote Bridavsky on Instagram. 

Lil Bub rose to celebrity status in 2011 when Mike Bridavsky posted photos of her on Tumblr. She was part of the first wave of cat sensations across social media, eventually making it to the front page of Reddit and garnering thousands of followers. 

What made her stand out in the realm of social media cats is the fact that she was born with feline dwarfism, a condition that made her kitten size for her entire life. Add that with her toothless jaw that made her tongue constantly stick out and you get one of the most adorable-lookings cats on the web. 

However, not only was Lil Bub a viral cat sensation, she and Bridavsky contributed greatly to the cause of animal welfare. Her fund, called Lil Bub’s Big Fund, has raised over $300,000 for animals in need. 

Students around Bloomington South shared their sentiments about Lil Bub and her impact. 

“Lil Bub will be missed as an inspiration and message to the many lives of those she touched,” said senior Collin Smith.

Senior Seth Stanik relayed similar feelings, stating that “Lil Bub was beloved by all. It was sad to her pass away.” 

Although she passed away, Lil Bub’s impact and legacy will continue to live online as a testament to all the good she did in the world.