2010’s top moments of Panther athletics

1. Girls basketball defeats Indianapolis Arlington 107-2

Larry Winters 2012-13 squad will be remembered at Bloomington South for years to come because of this blowout match. The game even managed to gather national attention from USA Today, ESPN, and Forbes, among others. Coach Winters was heavily criticized for the blowout victory, even though he kept a large rotation going throughout the game. 

1. Cherise Otter dominates girls’ golf from 2013-2015

By her junior season, Otter was at the top of her game. After placing 9th her sophomore year, her 2014 state performance was the best by anyone in 15 years, winning by seven strokes. She would finish as a runner up her senior season, but would still rank as the top girls golfer in the state.

1. Ian Finnerty wins 10 state medals

A member of the South swim team from 2011-2015, Finnerty was a force to be reckoned with in the pool, setting school records in the 100 fly and the 100 breast. He was named a four-time first-team all-area for boys swimming during his time at Bloomington South.

1. Jordan Meeks catches game-winning touchdown in double overtime to clinch South’s fifth straight sectional title

Another year, another big sectional game for Coach Mo and the Panthers. A missed kick by Martinsville kicker Caleb Urban had given South an opportunity to win. Bloomington South quarterback Trent Richardson took over needing at least a field goal. Instead, he found his 6-foot-6 wideout Jordan Meeks in the endzone to stun Martinsville. 

1. Deakin Volz wins two pole vaulting championships

Volz had quite the career at Bloomington South, winning two state championships as well as two Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year awards. His senior year, 2015, would be his best, setting the national pole vault record twice. 

1. Coach Mo returns to South to turn the football program around

After stints with IU, Carmel, and Salem, head football Coach Mo Moriarity would make his return to Bloomington South in 2013, where he would see tremendous success. In seven seasons, Mo would win six straight sectional titles and three regional championships. 

1. J.R. Holmes becomes winningest coach in Indiana history

Feb. 21, 2019 would be a big night for basketball in the state of Indiana, with Bloomington South Coach J.R. Holmes breaking the all-time record for wins as a coach. Holmes would secure his 807th win to surpass Loogootee’s Jack Butcher. 

1. Ronnie Schneider goes 99-1, winning state 3 times

Along with Rex Grossman, Schneider is the most successful athlete to ever come through Bloomington South. Ranked first in the nation in the Class of 2013, Schneider, a North Carolina commit, won state every year but his freshman season. 

1. Softball wins state in 2014

Coach Meg Montgomery’s 2014 team was one of the most talented groups to ever play at South. Led by senior third baseman Mena Fulton and junior pitcher Olivia White, the Panthers had no trouble getting past Hamilton Southeastern, beating the Royals 6-1 to win state. 

1. Boys basketball wins state in 2011

Led by Dee Davis and Spencer Turner, the Panthers were seeking revenge after failing to make it past regionals the year before. South had just beaten #2 ranked North Central to advance to the IHSAA 4A State Championship, where they would face a hot Kokomo team who had just upset #1 ranked Munster. It wasn’t Davis or Turner who led the way for the Panthers at Conseco Fieldhouse, it was the 6-foot-5 Desmond Marks who had a game high 14 points to help Bloomington South win its second basketball championship.