What’s the deal with finite?

Finite is a very popular math class at Bloomington South, especially among seniors. But why is this non-required class such a popular choice? 

Most students are aware that finite can be taken for college credit, but why rush to take it in high school? The answer is simple: it’s hard…very hard. 

“When I was at IU, I actually didn’t make it through the class. Later on I had to go up to IUPUI to get the credit for it and I barely passed the class there,” said guidance counselor Pat Cannon. 

Fortunately for South students, they have the option of taking it before they even get to college. Instead of giant lecture halls with stern professors, students can learn in a standard classroom with about 30 other students, as well as get help from their teachers. More than anything, the class is taught by Drew Frey, a favorite teacher among students at South. 

“Taking the class with Mr. Frey made it super easy to understand and I actually looked forward to the class,” said former South student and IU grad Lauren Powell. “I had friends who took it at IU and failed, sometimes multiple times and dreaded the class. Mr. Frey takes the time to make sure everyone understands while in a class at IU, you could be one of hundreds of students.”

Frey believes the main difference between IU and South is the amount of time spent with students, “At IU, the course is 2250 minutes total while at South the class is 7200 total minutes. Throw in Panther Plus and the advantage is huge. We also spend more time in class reviewing than at IU.”

Lisa Parker, who also teaches Finite, gave a similar response. 

“I think that part of the reason that taking finite here is easier than IU is the class size. We meet everyday and I have had many of my students in previous classes,” said Parker.

With about 50% of South’s college-attending-seniors going to IU, taking finite before college is extremely convenient for both student’s grades and their time. If you are a sophomore or junior planning to attend IU in the future and are not scheduled to take finite, you might want to adjust your upcoming schedule.