Coronavirus and South: FAQ

Planning on a tropical getaway this spring break? Maybe a vacation to California? Rethinking those vacation plans might be a good idea as quickly-increasing cases of COVID-19 make their way around the world and begin to be confirmed throughout the U.S. and Indiana. Here at South, many students are wondering how exactly this will affect us. 

First of all, how has it already affected Indiana?

As of March 12, there are 12 confirmed cases in Indiana. Avon Schools are closed through March 20 because an elementary school student has been confirmed with the virus and a teacher is showing symptoms. Avon Community Schools are the first schools in Indiana to close and are utilizing online resources to continue teaching, much like MCCSC plans to do. 

Are students at South in immediate danger?

So far, statistics are indicating that older populations and people with compromised immune systems are being affected more by COVID-19 than young, healthy people. This means that actual risk of death should not be a worry for high-schoolers, according to the CDC. The closing of school would be a measure taken to slow the rate of infection and reduce the likelihood of those people with less resilient immune systems coming in contact with the coronavirus. 

How will “school” happen in general?

According to South’s administrative council, teachers will be using Canvas to continue instruction. That will mean that students will log on at the start of their normal class periods (8 a.m. for first period, 9:10 a.m. second, etc.) and conduct class as usual. Canvas’ “conference” feature will let students and their teachers communicate in period-specific forums where they can discuss material and ask questions. 

Will students really have to be at their computers for the entire school day? How will they be held accountable?

So far, administrators are still trying to work out the specifics of how these online classes will work. Canvas has resources that allow teachers to track when students are online, which means that yes, theoretically students who don’t go online at the right time could be penalized. However, it will be up to teachers how strictly they enforce attendance as long as students are completing assignments. If students are not able to complete the work they are given in this time frame, students could potentially still be attending school in June.

What about students without Internet access at home?

South will be providing packets of paper material to take home for students who aren’t able to access Canvas at home.

What about students who rely on school-provided breakfast and lunch?

So far, South is planning to start a process where food can be driven (much like the school bus system) to student’s homes. The administration is still working out kinks in their policy and Optimist will be updating as more information becomes available.

The COVID-19 pandemic coverage will change every day, and Optimist will report on any pertinent information to BHSS students and families. We encourage anyone with further questions to visit https://www.cdc.gov/ for up-to-date information on global news.