IU Auditorium re-opening with Waitress and more!

Indiana University Auditorium is reopening and hosting many shows in the 2021-2022 season. Sophomore Anson Reynolds said, “The best thing about Bloomington is the opportunities to see high quality theatre in our community. It is great that students can see entertainment again!”

IU Auditorium is one of the premier entertainment centers of the Midwest and a  variety of world class entertainment performs there each year. Some of the upcoming shows for this year are; “Waitress,” “Cirque Dreams Holidaze,” Kristin Chenoweth, Straight No Chaser, and more!

In March 2020, the Auditorium was closed for public events and the remaining shows from the Spring 2021 season were postponed. Now after 18 months, they plan to reopen the Auditorium for public events. Executive director Doug Booher said, “Ticket sales for this season have been very strong, and we expect to make up the losses from last year over the next few seasons.” 

Booher said students of all ages will take a liking to some of the entertainment this season. “‘Blue Man Group’ is a crowd pleaser for all ages and teenagers and college students seem to especially find it fun and hilarious.  Also, Kristin Chenoweth’s concert later in October will be very popular with this age group…many people know her from her role as the original Glinda in Wicked on Broadway, or her award-winning role on Glee.” Other favorites for high-school students will be “The Prom” and “RAIN- A Tribute To The Beatles”. 

The hit broadway show “Waitress” is currently touring and will be stopping at the IU Auditorium very soon. With original lyrics and music by award-winning singer Sara Bareilles, the musical is about the unhealthy marriage of a waitress named Jenna living in a small town and wanting to get out. Jenna gets new opportunities to fix her sticky situation by entering a baking contest. This musical is a super entertaining, hopeful, and uplifting show.

In November, “RAIN- A Tribute To The Beatles”, is going to be celebrating 50 years of the album Abbey Road. The cast of four will astound you with their performance of iconic Beatles songs that will leave you singing for days. 

Straight No Chaser is a huge crowd pleaser at the IU Auditorium because it is an a cappella group whose members are from Indiana University. After 16 albums, including two RIAA Gold certified albums, they have become a phenomenon to Bloomington citizens. Performing in December, they’ll sing plenty of Christmas songs, funny parodies, and beautiful covers. 

If you are looking to have a laugh or two in February, renowned producer, actor, comedian, and physician Ken Jeong will be striking us with hysterical jokes and stories. After very successful projects including Crazy Rich Asians and The Hangover, he is doing stand-up comedy again. 

There are so many opportunities to see amazing shows (many more that are not listed) and support theatre this 2021-2022 season. You can buy tickets through IU Auditoium’s box office, IUauditorium.com, or Ticketmaster. Booher said, “Plan to have a great time enjoying world class entertainment with friends and family, and be sure to bring your mask!”