Taste tests lead to lunch menu changes

Democracy now has a place in the lunch line, too. Through a series of student taste tests, the new breakfast and lunch options have been curated to fit the majority of South student’s favorite foods. Breakfast and lunch are free, available to everyone and with help from student taste-testers and advocates, South’s menu now includes a vegetarian and meat entrée available every day. 

This change has been propelled by the strain COVID has put on the supply chain. Originally South’s lunch menu was on a four week cycle. Now, because of the struggle for MCCSC’s food vendors to provide this far into the future, the current menu is on a three week cycle. The most unpopular and difficult to procure foods have been cut from the menu. 

Overall, South students have been pleased with this change: “Everyone I’ve seen eating the pizza has liked it,” said Cora Mink, a freshman.

Scott Sprinkle, a freshman, was also in favor of the makeover.  “Yeah, I think it’s good that they’re offering more vegetarian options.” 

Next menu remodel, Mink would “like to see more salads offered at South.”

Sprinkle added that “the Rice Krispies are way overpriced.” 

If you have any pressing concerns or innovative proposals for lunch, contact Matt Tomrell, Director of Food Service at [email protected] for more information.