BHSS orchrestra teacher Mr. Hansen receives an award

Jon Hansen receives an award for going above and beyond teaching high school orchrestra.

Jon Hansen, an orchestra teacher at Bloomington High School South and three other schools in Monroe County (Tri-North, Jackson Creek, and Bloomington High School North), received the 2022 Indiana American String Teachers Association High School Teacher of the Year award on January 15. 

Hansen won the award for going above and beyond with his job and for his strong dedication in teaching orchestra. “We are extremely proud of him and know he has worked extremely hard and we’re happy he’s getting the recognition for it,” said Suzie Summerlot, a senior at South who is in Hansen’s orchestra class.

Summerlot added, “class with him is always exciting and [he] lets us enjoy the instrument we play; many of us now see the orchestra classroom as a safe place because of the environment he has created.” 

“I appreciate all the work Mrs. Enzinger did to get me recognized,” Hansen said. He feels like without her he would have never received the award. Hansen also mentioned that he feels honored to receive an award like this, though feels there were “hundreds of other people who also deserved the award as well”. Hansen believes the reason he won the award is because he creates such a safe and comfortable environment for his students, and getting to know each student one on one to help them, along with teaching them; just like Summerlot said.  

Hansen’s favorite memory so far teaching over this past year has been the performances they have had the chance to perform. Though his overall favorite memory with his classes has been the trips they have gone on, which sadly they could not do the past two years because of Covid. Luckily, Hansen is planning a trip this year, and he and his class can’t wait to make great memories on it.