Bloomington South Freshman Adapting to New Schedule

With the ‘22-’23 school year kicking in, incoming Panther freshmen are trying their best to adapt to new schedules for this school year. To much surprise, this year’s freshmen are adapting rather quickly. 

“It’s not too bad.” freshmen Daphne Southern said. “I like my schedule this year. There’s a lot more freedom.” Another Panther freshman, Kamareon Washington, said, “It’s not really a big change. We just have two less periods.” 

Panther freshmen are not only adapting to new schedules. Bloomington South is now starting school at 7:45 a.m. instead of 8 a.m.. There’s a bit of controversy on whether students like the early start time or not. “I miss the bus almost every day.” Washington said. “I don’t want to get up that early.” On the contrary, Southern remarked how much she likes starting earlier. “It wakes me up and gets me ready for the day.” 

By having an earlier start time, some freshmen have struggled with tardies within just three weeks of starting school. For two years, South has been lenient on tardies because of the pandemic, however, this year, tardies have become more of a focus. Some classes, depending most on how far away they are, have been hard to be punctual for. “It can be difficult with some classes. With others, it’s not too bad.” Southern said. Additionally, Washington thinks that tardies aren’t as much of an issue. “I feel good about it.” he says. “I have zero tardies right now.”

As the trimester progresses, freshmen should settle more into their new schedule. Returning students are excited for freshmen to see what South has to offer throughout the rest of the year.