The 3! Movie Reviews: Black Adam

The anticipation for the release of Black Adam has been building for months, with trailers popping up everywhere. Superstar actor Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson looks to make his debut in the world of superheroes, drawing even more attention to the release of the movie. So did the newest entry in the DC Cinematic Universe live up to the hype?

Let’s just say Dwayne Johnson definitely didn’t ‘rock’ the world with this one. Black Adam has some corny jokes and strange dialogue, in addition to an uncompelling and incoherent story. Even the huge $195 Warner Brothers invested in making of the movie is not reflected, with the quality of the special effects and sets being very poor at times.

The movie takes place in Kahndaq, a fictional city in the Middle East. Its history has interesting themes about colonization and cultural unity, but these messages are overshadowed by a boring conflict with a forgettable villain. Blurring the line between good and bad is another major idea addressed in the movie, as Black Adam is a character that is supposed to do the right thing with different morals than a traditional hero. These ideas seemed to only be present in the movie to create dramatic CGI fight scenes between Black Adam and other superheroes rather than really diving deep into what makes someone a hero.

The most interesting characters in the movie are from the ‘Justice Society,’ a branch of the Justice League. The unique combination of Hawkman, Cyclone, Atom Smasher, and Dr. Fate, allow for a fun, playful dynamic. The interactions between these characters make for some of the most entertaining action scenes, along with some of the most heartfelt moments. Dr. Fate in particular is a standout, being wise and thoughtful while also having cool costume design and unique superpowers.

So Black Adam, a movie with some of the biggest names in Hollywood and unique source material, a movie that had all of the potential in the world, fell flat. If you’re going to the movie theater looking to turn your brain off and watch cool action scenes, you may be able to watch Black Adam and have a good time. Maybe even being a big superhero fan will allow you to overlook the movie’s campiness and lack of substance. But for most, Black Adam is probably not going to be worth your time.