Cafeteria is Cooking Up Something New

Students now have the opportunity to influence the cafeteria food. Westley Penland, Food Service Supervisor, would like for students to be more involved in the selection of food available to them. Penland sent out a survey hoping to get student feedback and learn what choices they would like to see in the cafeteria. 

To give your opinion, you can access the Google form by clicking here for the link, or through the emailed announcements sent out via @mccsc.net emails. Junior Charlotte Piedmont has taken the opportunity to include her opinion. “I suggested more vegetarian options,” she said. 

Penland, bringing 15 years of experience in the restaurant industry to his work at South, hopes to start processing and implementing responses to the survey after Thanksgiving Break. He said, “There are limits to what I can do that involve the ability to get product in and making sure we are following USDA standards for school nutrition, but so far, there are a lot of obtainable suggestions that I hope to make happen for the student body.”

Starting Monday, Nov.7, the cafeteria added a hot/cold sandwich line to add to the taco, pizza, and main line already available to the students. From a chicken sandwich to a falafel veggie wrap, this new line includes a variety of sandwiches offered each day. For all the PB&J lovers, in addition to the constant rotation of new sandwiches, PB&J will remain an option available every day. 

Keep your eyes peeled. The lines may be changing during lunch to reduce congestion in the cafeteria. You can stay up to date on the offerings by checking the weekly taco and sandwich menu along with the monthly main line menu on the black bulletin board at the front of the cafeteria. A breakfast-grab-and-go cart located in the atrium is another new addition Penland is considering. 

Penland is excited to hear from students and add more options available to the student body. If you have input, make sure to fill out the Google form before Thanksgiving Break.