Panthers top Cougars in Preseason Scrimmage

It is no surprise that the Bloomington South Boy’s Basketball team dominated rivals Bloomington North in their annual preseason scrimmage last night. South started off with some of their more experienced players on the bench, returning senior Tucker Blackwell and returning sophomores Phillip King and Chance Coyle. Regardless of the usual starters, South came out with the determination to show North who owns this town. Senior Conner Seifers came out on fire hitting all three of his shots, alongside fellow senior Ben Chasteen who, also, added three in the first five minutes. Blackwell checked into the first quarter with 2:49 left; it only took him three seconds to drain his signature three-point shot. “Anytime we play North it’s a big deal,” Blackwell stated, “scrimmage or not, we aim to win.”
    South took the first quarter, 17-7, while North took a lone win in the second quarter, 5-10. The Panthers let up on their defense to a zone format which helped the Cougars fly past in the second. South came back with two more victories, 9-4 and 19-16, to finish off the scrimmage with a win by 13, 50-37. “I am not very worried about our next matchup with North,” Blackwell stated, “we go into every game thinking of a good outcome so there is no reason to worry.” The Panther’s officially begin their season next Tuesday, at home, against the Edgewood Mustangs. “It’s really bittersweet,” Blackwell stated, “I am super excited to see what we can achieve as a team this year.” With this preseason victory against the Cougars, without four members: Chris Bomba, Kristian Pechac, Garrett Hickman and Josh Hall, South can surely hope that this season will end with plenty of victories under their belt.